Sunday, January 20, 2008

An interview with Francis de Verna


AN INTERVIEW with FRANCIS DE VERNA

one of the guest stars of BLACK



Francis de Verna in a scene from BLACK

FRANCIS de VERNA is a long time resident in Kuwait. He has been on the Konkani stage in Goa and Mumbai since 1965. He has been elected to several Goan organizations including the Goan Welfare Society (GWS), and Kuwait-Goa Tiatristanchi Sonvstha (KGTS), and performs/sings on stage regularly. His Konkani AUDIO Album 'Ojapanchi Maim' in dedication to Mother Mary speaks much about the humble star's ingenuity in music and his ideological vision.


In a brief Interview to www.goa-world.com team, the senior Kuwait-based Goan Konkani stage artiste who plays a guest appearance role in the first Konkani E-Cinema “BLACK Nhesop Atanchem Fashion”, Francis de Verna revealed his heart:


Excerpts:


Q. Tell us about what you felt about BLACK on its release.

Francis de Verna: To my knowledge and experience of Konkani entertainment in over 40 years, the film is fantastic with the best music ever produced for a Konkani film.


Q. Describe those moments when you saw yourself on the big screen.

Francis de Verna: As this was my first appearance on the big screen, I felt very happy and am proud to have acted in the first Konkani E-cinema.


Q. Comment on your role in Black.

Francis de Verna: My role is very simple but I liked it as it is -- short and sweet.


Q. How do you usually choose your roles?

Francis de Verna: I choose my roles based on my ability to do justice for the ‘character’ portrayed.


Q. How hard is your effort and commitment towards acting?

Francis de Verna: I have been performing on the stage since 1965. I have acted and sung for most of the yesteryear’s dramatists and troupes. I love the Konkani stage and will continue to work for it. I always put my utmost efforts and given an opportunity I commit myself to perform to the best of my ability.


Q. Which kind of characters do you like acting?

Francis de Verna: My characters are always of tragedy, and as long as I live I will do ‘sad’ roles. It gives me great enthusiasm to perform such roles. It gives me the strength to display my natural capabilities towards the enactment of such roles.


Q. Of late you are not heard of after BLACK. Why?

Francis de Verna: As we all are well aware, one’s job is more important in this part of the country for survival. Could be in the next film, I may be there with a better performance or in the next tiatr. I sang a song on ‘Goa Day’ very recently. If time permits, I would be ready to perform for all the forthcoming dramas, but sadly it is not to be so as my job is of such nature that I have to be in action at short notice.


Q. What are your views on Goan films?

Francis de Verna: Good prospects. Our village son from Verna T-Bush can now be considered as one of the Indian film greats! With the unique technology and sound system incorporated in ‘BLACK’, T-Bush has become a shining star of this genre. He is a pride of all Goans. Moreover, he has made Kuwait Goans proud producing the first E-Cinema from Kuwait.


Q. Tell us about your favourite artistes and films.

Francis de Verna: My favorite artistes were C.Alvares and Cecilia Machado. ‘Amchem Noxib’, ‘Nirmonn’ and ‘Mogacho Anvddo’ are the best Konkani films I’ve watched in the theatres.


Q. How would you rate yourself as an artiste?

Francis de Verna: As you are well aware singing and acting is in my blood. I rate myself in the top category of Konkani Stage artistes. As I mentioned earlier, I have been involved in many cultural activities right from my schooldays and I have always earned a good name as an artiste. That’s how I wish to remain.


Q. What are your other future aspirations?

Francis de Verna: Retiring peacefully in our beautiful Goa is my dream. I also wish to continue my good work on stage with the blessings of Almighty God.




Website: www.t-bush.com; Email: films@t-bush.com






www.goa-world.com

No comments: